Membership benefit summary
Why should you become my patient? What value do I offer you that you might not get from your current provider?
It starts with Respect
- A collaborative approach to your care, keeping you in the driver’s seat as much as possible.
- A good listener who won’t make you feel rushed or unimportant.
- I respect my patients and take their concerns seriously.
- I respect your time. I don’t see many patients in my office on any given day (many problems can be handled without you ever needing to come in), so you won’t have to sit in my waiting room very often. When there is a delay (typically because you needed a same-day appointment ASAP), you’ll notice that you can either relax with a good book from my library or use my computer and printer to get some work done. Guest WiFi is also available if you prefer to use your own computer.
Convenience & accessibility
- Have a quick medical question? You’ll have easy direct access to me by telephone, text, e-mail, or video – including 24/7 access for emergencies.
- I offer a variety of in-office
- Evening and weekend appointment slots available at no extra cost for when it’s just not convenient to get into my office during the regular work week.
- Limited practice size, ensuring that you won’t be competing with many other people for my attention.
- Same day or next-day appointments in most cases.
procedures, reducing the need to refer you to outside specialists for simple problems I can handle immediately.
- I tend to offer much longer, much more thorough visits than my competition. You should feel that your concerns have been heard, and known that I will do everything I can to help you understand what I think is going on with you (and why I think that.)
- I look for underlying causes of chronic problems and check for “ticking time bombs” in time to defuse them.. These include insulin resistance, elevated uric acid levels, chronic inflammation, and obstructive sleep apnea.
- In-depth evaluation of your current medications and supplements, with explanations of how they work and any changes that I might recommend.
- A comprehensive approach to screening and testing for a large variety of conditions– at a fraction of the typical cost you might pay.
- Well-woman care including pap smears and breast thermography (if desired, as an adjunct to mammograms)
- Coordination of care and interpretation of lab results, studies, and visit notes from other providers.
Your personal research environment
- This may not be for everybody, but now and then I meet people who are very motivated to learn as much as they can about a medical topic. In addition to providing you with access to my medical library, I can grant you in-office access to my online information resources including UpToDate and ConsumerLab. Of course you can also just bounce weird ideas off me and see where we go from there.
Diet, weight, and the metabolic syndrome
- If you suffer from diabetes, pre-diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, kidney problems, chronic inflammation, irritable bowel, and/or sleeping problems (to name a few), then in many cases I can help dramatically change your life for the better (both quality-wise and longevity-wise). If you’re open to making some changes in your diet (that won’t involve going hungry), I can often manage a lot of problems without needing to treat you with any expensive or dangerous medications.
- Despite the above, I’m not into fat-shaming. Expect to be heard and respected no matter your body type.
Mental health and addiction
- Thoughtful counseling and the ability to listen
- If you’re a smoker and want to quit, I can help. Successful quit rates for my patients are a LOT higher than average.
- Alternatives to sleeping pills that won’t leave you hung over or ultimately make your insomnia and anxiety even worse.
- Non-judgmental help for people seeking help with alcohol or substance abuse problems.
- Appropriate treatment of chronic pain. (No, this doesn’t mean that I prescribe narcotics freely. There are actually much better approaches to treating most chronic pain, particularly for neuropathic pain disorders.)
- Predictable, affordable rates for your primary care needs.
- No additional charges (aside from costs of the materials) for procedures I can do myself.
- Significant prescription drug discounts for many chronic medications – no insurance necessary.
- Substantial discounts for most lab tests.
A long-term perspective
- Focus on helping you enjoy a long and healthy life, not just your current problem list.
- Discussion of ways to limit your cancer risks
- Discussion of the value (and sometimes lack thereof) of a variety of supplements
- Assistance with genetic testing and interpretation.